Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Winter blues and decisions for spring

The winter blah's have taken hold.  Its not the cold, but the lack of sunshine, I think, because we've actually had a wonderfully mild winter.  But my wonderful routine of riding in the morning before work has been destroyed by the incessant voice in my head that  insists that cold weather and 7AM sunrises make riding no fun.  So following the path of least resistance, I give in to the 'rack monster' and stay in bed until its too late to cram both morning chores and a ride into the time allowed before I have to leave for work.
But spring is around the corner, testified by my friend Leann's daily facebook count down to spring posts!  And Inky will be going to our trainer for March, leaving Rico without an equine companion.  I do have options.  He can stay home alone for a month, which is a sad situation for my Mr. Herdbound Socialite, I can take in a short term companion who will hopefully enjoy being spoiled rotten for a month instead of traumatized because its in a strange new environment, or I can send Rico somewhere with an indoor for riding or training for a month.  I did call a local trainer.  It would be nice to have someone re-install his work ethic and trot rhythm again.

The problem is, I am NOT good boarder material.  In fact, I'll truthfully admit that I'm a control freak.  After 15 years of the daily responsibilities for my horses, knowing all their little idiosyncrasies, and doing things 'my way', I am just not able to relax and enjoy letting someone else do it.  Its not that I don't trust others, or even that I think that my way is the 'only way'.  I just think my poor little delicate flower will have a total meltdown and just wither away because his human caretaker isn't around to interpret, explain, and cater to his every little whim and idiosyncrasy.  My brain knows that the change would probably make him a better, or at least more adaptable horse.  My 'maternal instinct' insists that only I know what he needs.

I guess its just simply that I need something to mother, now that my daughter is all grown up and doesn't need me.  Life would be so much easier if I did not have the maternal instincts of a tiger.

No comments: